They weren't kidding..."the most achievable morning biscuit." I'm in love with Sunday Suppers and their magnificently beautiful cookbook. I woke up knowing I wanted to flour my hands and have a lazy Sunday morning in the kitchen and what better way than a soul-satifying, comforting and SIMPLE recipe of sausage and gravy over homemade biscuits. It's not the sort of breakfast you'll have every day, but it's all about balance and enjoying the simple pleasures, right? Couple that with a long, slow roast of coffee...that's how we do it in our house (as long as an adventure is not awaiting us).
Homemade Biscuits with sausage and gravy
- Homemade Biscuits (recipe in the Sunday Suppers Cookbook)
- 1 lb organic pork breakfast sausage
- 1 tbsp Irish butter
- 1/4 c all-purpose flour, plus more
- 1 c heavy cream
- kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage and break into a few large chunks. Brown each side of the pieces and then using a spatula, continue to break up the pieces as it cooks until meat is browned all over, thoroughly cooked and broken into smaller pieces. Remove meat from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Melt butter in pan and add flour, whisking continuously, until a thick paste forms. Slowly whisk in half of the cream until it thickens and is a smooth consistency. Add more cream or flour until desired consistency and amount is achieved (you can also use additional water as a thinner).
- Fold sausage back into pan to combine with the gravy. Season with salt and a generous amount of freshly cracked pepper.
- Halve the biscuits and arrange desired amount of sausage and gravy over bottom half of biscuit. Add another twist of fresh cracked pepper and finish with the biscuit top. BON appetit!