Hello Spring. Hello Chicken. Hello Beautiful Spring Veg. And Hello YOU.
Whelp, it's been awhile, hasn't it? I've been chugging away over here recovering from the ACL surgery (which is finally going great, btw!), handling a slew of puppy emergencies (ruptured gall bladders are no joke!), organizing surprise trips for people and then turning around and having to cancel, sneaking bits of sun when it pokes its' head out from behind the clouds, and of course, working with my favorite people on changing their lives!!!!
And in between it all, I've still been cooking, promise. Here's a recipe I created just for Barre3, and its a good one!
Easiest and most-perfect roasted chicken you can make - keep it on hand as a staple chicken recipe - and use any spring vegetables you prefer! And of course, you can use this recipe year round and swap out the veg that's in season that time of year!
Enjoy the longer, sunnier days, my friends!
Roasted Chicken with Braised Spring Vegetables
We love this juicy chicken combined with fresh spring veggies. The fennel, garlic, and lemon not only add loads of flavor, they also fight inflammation and support healthy digestion. Besides being light and totally satisfying, this recipe also makes plenty of leftovers to enjoy the next day.
Prep Time: 15 mins | Total Time: 50 mins | Serves: 6-8
- 8 chicken pieces (thighs, legs and breasts)
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6-8 radishes, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed, halved and quartered
- 1 zucchini, halved lengthwise and chopped
- 12-15 stalks asparagus, roughly chopped
- 1 handful green beans, trimmed
- 1 handful sugar snap peas, diagonally sliced
- 1 small bunch of spring or green onions, trimmed and halved lengthwise
- juice of half a lemon
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees.
- Season chicken pieces with sea salt and fresh cracked pepper.
- Heat oil in a large cast iron skillet or heavy oven-safe sauté pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add chicken pieces to pan, skin side down, and cook for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer pan to oven and cook an additional 10 minutes.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking until juices run clear and skin is crisp, about 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large deep sauté pan over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbsp butter with 1 Tbsp olive oil. Add radishes cut side down and cook until golden brown on all sides, tossing occasionally. Remove from pan and set aside. Add fennel and garlic and sauté until fragrant and beginning to brown. Add zucchini, asparagus, green beans and snap peas, and cook, tossing occasionally until beginning to brown, about 2-4 minutes. Add green onions, lemon juice and 1/4 c chicken broth and season with sea salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 2 minutes. Add radishes back in and season again if desired.
- Serve chicken with spring vegetables and top with fresh cut herbs.