Oats. So simple. So hearty. So delicious. And absolutely perfect for cold winter gray mornings like today. To be honest, I rarely gravitate towards making it for myself, but I've had lots of oatmeal requests as of late and...well, I guess all the conversation centered around the tiny little grain stirred something up within me. I woke up this morning and nothing seemed more satisfying than a warm bowl of oats, perfectly layered with fruit and nuts.
Not only is this recipe simple and quick - requiring 10 minutes or less from start to finish - its incredibly easy to customize to whatever you have on hand in your kitchen. If pears and goji berries don't do it for you, give apples and goldenberries a try. Maybe you're like me and you don't crave oatmeal in the morning, so all it takes is swapping rolled oats out for steel cut oats or possibly another grain altogether like quinoa or millet. (note: cooking time will be a bit longer with another grain). Play with this bowl, make it your own and enjoy it on these cold winter mornings.
SIMPLE MORNING OATS WITH WALNUTS, PEARS AND GOJI BERRIES
Warm rolled oats cooked with pears, goji berries, walnuts and pumpkin seeds. A simple and healthy vegan breakfast loaded with protein, fiber and fruit.
Prep time: 3 mins | Cook time: 7 mins | Total time: 10 mins
- 1 cup whole rolled oats, dry
- 2 cups water
- inch of maldon sea salt
- 1 tbsp goji berries
- 1 tbsp golden raisins
- 1 small Bosc pear, chopped
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp walnuts, chopped
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- Additional toppings: walnuts, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, bee pollen, almond milk
- In a small saucepan, bring 2 cups water to a boil. Once boiling, add the whole rolled oats, pinch of maldon sea salt, goji berries, golden raisins, chopped pear, cinnamon, walnuts and pumpkin seeds, stir to combine and reduce heat to low. Cook until the water is absorbed and oats are tender, about 7 minutes. Stir in maple syrup.
- Divide the oats between two bowls and top with additional walnuts, pumpkin seeds, goji berries and a sprinkle of bee pollen.
- Just before serving, add a splash of almond milk. Enjoy!