Seattle is H.O.T. right now. Like, beyond hot. And the air is filled with smoke, sadly (BC fires galore). And we have zero air conditioning, along with 90% of Seattleites.
And in the midst of all the heat and haze and efforts to avoid turning the stove on, these green snappy beauties come to mind.
Clean, crunchy and packed with nutrients, these nori rolls are the peeeerrrrrfect afternoon snack on a hot summer day and make for a great appy for your next backyard BBQ. This veg combo is my favorite (and not just because they're so pretty...but they SO are, right?). Use whatever crunchy veg you have on hand and mix it up for a nutritional twist.
The possibilities are endless and they're always a hit at summer dinner parties.
SUMMER VEGETABLE NORI ROLLS WITH GINGER TAHINI DIPPING SAUCE
Serves: 6-8 (makes roughly 12 rolls) | Prep time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1/2 c tahini
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup or coconut nectar
- 2 tsp tamari
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp minced ginger
- 1/8 c water
- 1 large bunch swiss chard or collard greens
- 3-4 carrots, julienned
- 3-4 golden beets, julienned
- 8 asparagus spears, blanched and thinly sliced
- 1 large handful of sunflower sprouts (or whichever sprouts look fresh and seasonal from your market)
- 6-8 nori sheets, halved width-wise
- 1 small bunch of basil
- 1 small bunch of purple basil
- 1/2 Tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1/2 Tbsp black sesame seeds
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- Dipping sauce: In a small bowl, whisk tahini, maple syrup, tamari, lemon juice, ginger and 1 Tbsp water. Add more water until desired consistency. Set aside.
- Prep green leaves for rolling by cutting alongside the vein/stem (save stem for later use in another recipe or feed to dog - my pup loves kale stems!). Each whole leaf should yield 2 leaves for rolling.
- Setting your mis en place: Prep your vegetables and arrange your ingredients in order for making the rolls: Julienne carrots and golden beets, blanch and thinly slice asparagus, thinly slice green onions, set out sunflower sprouts, whole purple basil and whole green basil (use all Italian basil if you cannot find purple), black and toasted sesame seeds, halved nori sheets, halved green leaves.
- Rolling: Place a green leaf vertically down on your workspace and place a nori sheet shiny side down, on top of the leaf. At the edge closest to you, arrange a thin line of carrots, golden beets, asparagus, sunflower sprouts, whole green and purple basil, black and toasted sesame seeds, thinly sliced green onions and a drizzle of the dipping sauce. Roll tightly, using fingers to hold in place and lay seam side down. Continue for remaining ingredients. Serve with extra sauce for dipping.