Takeout habits can be tough to break - especially after a long day of back to back meetings. For those nights when you're tempted to order-in and veg out on the couch, try throwing this quick and easy fried rice together instead. More often than not, your standard takeout has added oils and sodium that don't necessarily help you with your fitness goals.
Prep the coconut rice ahead of time so all you have to do at the end of the day is chop, saute, and eat. For a complete and balanced meal, top this rice with a fried egg, shredded chicken or other protein.
COCONUT FRIED RICE
- 1 c brown rice
- 1 c canned coconut milk
- 1 c water
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 organic eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ of a medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 carrots, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ c frozen or fresh peas
- ½ c roasted cashews, finely chopped, plus 2 Tbsp more for garnish
- 1 ½ Tbsp tamari
- ½ c shredded unsweetened coconut
- Combine rice, coconut milk, water and a pinch of salt in a medium saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil. Cover with a tight-fitting lid, reduce heat to a simmer, and cook 20-30 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed (cooking time may depend on your particular rice). Remove from heat and let steam, covered and set aside. *We like to cook the rice one day ahead of time for a more traditional fried rice texture, and it saves time!
- Heat 1 Tbsp coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add eggs and quickly stir to break apart and cook until just cooked through. Remove eggs from skillet and set aside with rice.
- Add 2 Tbsp coconut oil to skillet and once shimmering, add onion and sauté until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Add carrots, zucchini, garlic, curry powder and a pinch of salt and sauté 5 min until vegetables are softened and fragrant.
- Add rice and eggs back in to skillet, along with peas, ½ c roasted cashews, tamari and shredded coconut and stir to combine. Season to taste and serve hot.